SOUTHWESTERN RICE AND BEAN SALAD
Serves: 8 servings, about 1 cup each
PORTION CONTROL: 1 1/2 YELLOW AND 1/2 TSP
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (or other cooked whole grain)
- 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 cups frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 medium jalapeño, finely chopped (or cayenne pepper to taste)
- 1 tsp. mild chili powder
- Combine rice, beans, corn, tomato, green onions, oil, vinegar, cilantro, jalapeño, and chili powder in a large serving bowl; mix well.
- For best flavor, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
- Rice can be mixed into salad, or all other ingredients can be combined and served over the rice.